Tuesday, February 6, 2007

105.2

So yesterday in my sewing post I mentioned that I was up a lot of Sunday night with Caden and a fever. He woke up Monday morning with a fever of 103.8, which I felt was alarming. I spoke to the nice advise nurse and she stated that lots of fevers were going around and to keep an eye on him throughout the day, as a fever could range up to 104. So, when Caden fell asleep on me at 11:45, I thought he would nap for a couple of hours. Dave came home early from work so I could take Austin to soccer (it was our day to take snacks/drinks). After coming home around 3:45 and finding that Caden was still sleeping, I became a little more worried.

Another hour went by before Caden woke up. I found him red and hot and knew that he was in bad shape. I immediately took his temperature and the thermometer flew up quickly to 105.2. I rushed to let Dave know (he was outside with Austin and the neighbors playing). They told me to take it again, just to make sure. Poor little Caden was laying there shaking, hot with his eyes glassy, puffy and hardly alert. The nurse didn't say anything about if the fever was to get over 104 what I should do. I called back and after waiting on hold for almost 20 minutes, the same nice advise nurse said as calmly as she could, "honey, if it is over 105, you must get him to the emergency room now...and sponge him down with a cool rag on the way there". I yelled for Dave and within minutes we were on our way to SW Medical Center. Luckily, we have awesome neighbors that offered to let Austin stay with them to play. This was our first ER visit ever with one of the boys.

Caden was seen almost immediately after getting to the ER. They confirmed he was one sick little boy and gave him more medicine to get his fever down (we didn't know that you could give Tylenol and Motrin at the same time). After his fever started going down, we stayed in a very small room for hours waiting for the doctor. Finally he came in and was able to quickly detect an ear infection in one of Caden's ears. Soon we had a prescription to get filled and to be on our way home to get cleaned up and hope for a better night.

Caden slept all night long without any problems and is feeling a ton better already this morning. Had only a slight fever and nothing alarming. He is mad at things now (me wiping his nose), which makes him want to hit...so much more normal with energy today.

Austin is back to school today too, after missing all of last week. He is going to Rion's house this afternoon to play too, so it should be a great day for him.

Hopefully Caden will be feeling better and better with each day. What a scare though...and hope not to have to visit the emergency room for at least another 4 years.

No comments: